Division: Smiths Detection
Job Function: Research Development
SMITHS DETECTION MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE
Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
Are you a Senior Systems Engineer passionate about supporting whole lifecycle projects from concept, new product development and product updates through to production support and retirement…. If so, this could be your opportunity to join a truly global brand.
Working from our Hemel Hempstead Production site, this is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding team to facilitate product growth and development. As a senior contributor, you will be managing multiple projects utilising specialist subcontractors / analysis software as required, to deliver in a fast moving development environment.
Why work at Smiths
- Our people are an essential part of our success, and we believe in a fair and equitable workplace, where you enjoy being at work and your efforts to deliver for our customers are both recognized
- We’re committed to employing talented people and enabling them to reach their full potential. We’ll work with you to help you be your best. And to achieve your career goals.
- Our internal development programmes help you learn the business and build knowledge on key areas such as ethics, safety and unconscious bias
- Our people are our sustainable source of competitive advantage. Their hard work and passion brings our business to life. We seek to reward colleagues for their contributions and enable them to share in our success
- Flexible working optional
- Diverse culture
Duties & Responsibilities
- Development of high quality, high demand products sold into a regulated environment.
- Act as a focal point for Systems engineering activities including requirements capture, architectural design, system compliance, design and legislative compliance
- Produce Systems schedule detailing the support activities to be undertaken during the new product design cycle.
- Manage multiple projects utilising specialist subcontractors as required to deliver in a fast-moving development environment
- Develop ongoing informal & formal review of the environmental, safety and operational health of the design.
- Preparation of logistics support information such as Reliability studies, Maintainability & Safety aspects.
- Collaborate as a team member to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements.
- Estimating tasks and executing work packages within defined scope and budget.
- Technical product support to manufacturing & service
- Actively communicate with senior members within the local engineering team, other disciplines within the department and the wider Smiths Detection community to facilitate the work of the company.
- Responsible for personal health & safety of all that may be affected by your activities, to arrange appropriate risk assessments whilst working internally & externally for Smiths Detection.
You must be qualified in a Software, Electronics, Mechanical or Systems Engineering discipline to degree level or equivalent. We require a collaborative team worker who is individually motivated working well without supervision, and committed to deadlines. Positive mind-set with enthusiasm to succeed is essential.
- You will have a good working knowledge of Systems Engineering techniques including Requirements management, SysML & Use Cases.
- Have an up to date overview of environmental regulations compliance and ESOH awareness
- You must have managed and supervised the work from external technology partners and SMEs related to ILS activities
- Results focused in order to achieve development schedule.
- Work easily across cross-functional project teams and has a good understanding and experience of the Engineering life cycle.
- Be a clear communicator, innovator, and analyser..
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/smiths-detection/life/c58d0d07-ffe6-4a79-aa69-062062454d6d/and follow our story
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity. We have several employee-led Employee Resources Groups (women@work, Black Employees Network, Veterans, Pride Network) providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment and beyond.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website (www.smithsdetection.com/careers)or LinkedIn.