What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
What to expect on the programme
AWE is a high performing streamlined business, delivering extraordinary products. By joining us as an Undergraduate Student, you will make a direct contribution to the successful operations in the Trials and Test Technology Centre, where we conduct trials across mechanical, explosive and extreme environments, and maintain capabilities such as the Orion plasma LASER facility. You will also gain knowledge and experience of industry best practice within the Electronics Engineer discipline.
Exact taskings will depend on the projects available at the time. You can expect to be part of the team responsible for fault finding, problem solving, repair and maintentance of bespoke equipment; working on everything from low voltage PCBs to custom-built hight voltage enclosures, as well as supporting the diagnostics team on hydrodynamic (explosive) trials. During this, you will be supported and mentored by experienced project personnel, well versed in AWE processes.
There are 3 exciting opportunities for placements within the Trials and Test Technology Centre. Interested candidates will most likely be studying an Electrical/Electronic degree.
You will be based at Aldermaston, nr. Reading, Berkshire. There may be opportunities to work in other locations, depending on projects available at the time.
What you’ll get
- We offer all undergraduate students a salary of £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee discounts portal – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field.
What behaviors we expect
You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
Starting dates and process
Undergraduate Placement Induction will be on 5th August 2024, please avoid taking leave during this period if you are successful. This role is offered on a 12 month contract.
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.