What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
What to expect on the programme
Information Services (IT) provides the People, Processes and Technology to facilitate the collection of AWE’s Data, Knowledge and Information from contributors, managing and storing it to optimise its efficient retrieval. Our people combine technical skills with an understanding of broader business objectives to enable the AWE to achieve its strategic goals and support National Nuclear Security.
The Cyber SOC’s mission is to protect AWE assets by detecting and responding to Cyber threats. This is achieved through monitoring for external and internal threats, threat hunting, incidents response, forensics and investigation.
What we do at AWE is unique and so are our threats. The Cyber SOC monitor both traditional networks and cloud environments and the SOC benefits from having a wide range of tooling available to the analysts.
Analysts within the SOC have the ability to help grow and shape what we monitor and how we respond to threat. We offer and encourage self-development to ensure our analysts remain knowledgeable and the skills in order to maintain our mission.
As an Undergraduate Student within the Cyber Soc Team, we are looking for you to work in an exciting and growing area of Cyber Security. We are looking for students who are studying towards a degree in Information Technology, Computer Networks and Security, Cyber Security and Mathematics or similar and an interest or specialism in the area of Cyber Security.
What behaviors you’ll have
You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
You will be based at Aldermaston, nr. Reading, Berkshire
What benefits will you receive?
The opportunity to learn from subject matter experts and to develop skills that are applicable across many industries.
- A salary of £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme. We will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution.
- Every second Friday off. We do this by working a 41-hour week followed by a 33-hour week.
- 270 hours annual leave a year that includes an allowance for bank holidays.
- Access to the employee discounts portal – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Starting dates and process
Undergraduate Placement Induction will be on 5th August 2024, please avoid taking leave during this period if you are successful. This role is offered on a 12 month contract.
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.