What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
What to expect on the programme
As an Undergraduate student within our physics function you will be working within a small team to apply your skills and knowledge to support the full lifecycle of warhead components and technologies. We have a diverse range of teams who work to support the delivery of our mission including; Image Analysis, Explosive Modelling, Applied Computer Science, Mathematical Assessment to name just a few!
During the programme, you’ll focus mainly on one or two projects or areas, gaining a deep insight into the work that is done. You’ll be supported by a line manager and a mentor, who will help you to navigate your time with us and support you in developing the skills to build your career within the defence industry.
Your on-programme learning will combine a corporate induction to help you find your feet, on-job training and some classroom-based or online learning depending on your role.
Alongside this, your off-programme learning will include being part in an undergraduate group project team focusing on a business deliverable. We will give you every opportunity to network with other undergraduates, as well as the graduate community, so you can start building your business contacts at AWE.
At the end of the programme, you’ll have increased your knowledge and understanding within your subject area – and gained additional skills to help you in your future career.
What behaviors you’ll have
You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
You will be based at Aldermaston, nr. Reading, Berkshire
What you’ll get
- We offer all undergraduate students a salary of £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee discounts portal – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field.
Starting dates and process
Undergraduate Placement Induction will be on 5th August 2024, please avoid taking leave during this period if you are successful. This role is offered on a 12 month contract.
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.