What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
What to expect on the programme
As a Radiochemistry undergraduate student you will have the opportunity to work with world-class scientists in an exciting part of AWE that provides a wide range of analytical capabilities and expert advice to AWE and government agencies / external customers, whilst ensuring AWE meets regulatory and licence condition compliance.
We are interested in applications from candidates working towards a degree in Chemistry, Natural Sciences, Physics, or combined Chemistry/Physics. Most importantly we are looking for enthusiastic individuals keen to get involved and work on interesting research and tasks. There are three placements available:
- Radiochemistry with Mass Spectrometry Placement
Lab based placement split between two teams who use radiochemistry separations to isolate and purify trace actinides from environmental samples prior to measurement using Inorganic mass spectrometry to characterise isotopic & elemental signatures. Previous experience with radiochemistry or isotope mass spectrometry would be preferable.
- Radiochemistry with Radiation Detection Placement
Lab based placement split between two teams who use radiochemistry separations to isolate and purify a range of nuclides of interest from environmental and radioactive samples with measurements through gamma spectroscopy, liquid scintillation counting and alpha spectroscopy. Previous coding experience would be preferable although there will be ample opportunities to learn throughout the placement
- Radiation Detection Scientist Placement
Lab and desk-based placement performing radiometric analysis and data analysis for multiple customers across AWE and UK government. This placement will offer the successful candidate the opportunity to plan and perform their own analysis using gamma spectroscopy, liquid scintillation counting and alpha spectrometry as well as other novel detection systems. Experience will also be gained in data science methods although previous experience is not essential and ample training will be provided
What behaviors you’ll have
You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
You will be based at Aldermaston, nr. Reading.
What you’ll get
- We offer all undergraduate students a salary of £20,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee discounts portal – everyday savings on leisure, hospitality and retail.
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field.
Starting dates and process
Undergraduate Placement Induction will be on 5th August 2024, please avoid taking leave during this period if you are successful. This role is offered on a 12 month contract.
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out!
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.