SMITHS DETECTION MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE
Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
We have an exciting opportunity in the Global Training Department for a UK Trainer to support the delivery of the Global Training Strategy and incorporate this into innovative training delivery methods. This role is based at Hemel Hempstead with hybrid working, so commutable distance is essential.
Successful candidate will collaborate with a complex breadth of global stakeholders internally and will have regular contact with customers, supporting the Training Analysis, Design, Delivery and Assurance pillar of the Global Training and Documentation department. You will deliver all instructor led training activity for our customers both internal and commercially and must be proficient in your own technical skills but be an experienced trainer, demonstrating an ability to operate independently, creating and delivering learning solutions from concept through to assurance of customer satisfaction. You will lead in Training planning, including scheduling complex global training requirements in multiple geographic regions and across developing markets ensuring they align with the groups global standards and policies.
We are looking for someone with drive, energy and motivation, preferably with electrical engineering background experience and with the confidence and ability to write training materials.
Join us and we’ll help build your career, with excellent training and opportunities for career growth across the business, both locally and globally. You’ll experience an inclusive environment, with strong leadership and a focus on safety and wellbeing. You’ll also have the flexibility to choose from a wide range of benefits to suit your lifestyle, offering you and your family support from a health and wellbeing, financial and lifestyle perspective.
Standard security clearance will be required including 3 years UK residency. National and International travel will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities (Includes but not limited to)
- Conduct training events (e.g. for customer technicians, PDM, Programs, P&T, Service, Sales, technicians of agencies) in English, if necessary also in other common foreign languages, in accordance with the Global training plan in a target group-oriented manner. Ensure efficient and effective processing.
- Develop and design training material (e.g. presentations, videos, handouts), taking into account didactic aspects. Consideration of standards, rules and regulations such as SD Style Guide, SD Service Concept. Ensure system storage of the completed documents.
- Develop training programmes (e.g. agenda, method, framework conditions). Independently research and prepare the necessary content. Participate in project meetings.
- Provide support as needed including developing training material, conducting training with regard to products from other locations.
- Conduct T3 training for new trainers (internal trainers and external training providers).
- Collaborate with Technical Writers, Service and Products & Technologies on diagnostic strategies and troubleshooting guides.
- Evaluate feedback from training events for improvements to training materials and technical documentation. Maintain proactive communication with Technical Authors and Technical Service.
- Support in the creation of immersive and digital training solutions for multiple sectors with differing requirements.
- Ensure multiple contracts are delivered on time, within budget and delivering a 100% accurate learner’s journey.
- Champion the information flow for process improvement and quality information in UK and other countries where relevant.
- Demonstrate early career stage leadership skills, working with the Global Training Director and the SMT to deliver the Training Strategy and lead on Workstream activity that enables the team to meet the Director’s targets.
- Establish and maintain exceptional relationships with Marketing, Product Managers, Product Specialists, regional Service Managers and regional Service Leads to support the needs of the business.
- Provide consultancy to others in the creation and implementation of instructor led training.
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- Able to respond in a timely way to global staff from different time zones.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Individual must be proficient in MS Office applications.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and adapt to changing priorities
Competencies and Abilities:
- The motivation & ability to persistently pursue and achieve effective results.
- The ability to make effective, timely decisions in a complex, global market by sourcing and analysing critical information.
- The understanding and recognition of the organisation’s commercial environment and positioning their role and actions to support success.
- The ability to engage, challenge and work effectively with others.
- The ability to build an effective network of relationships both internally and externally, understanding customer needs.
- Support with the conception and design of material for SD-Online courses.
- Participation in the development of new training concepts (electronic training material, training videos).
- Responsibility for security and equipment of training facilities (update, upgrade, repair of equipment).
- Demonstration of equipment for clients and other stakeholders.
- Supervision of site (SAT) and factory (FAT) acceptance tests. 3.
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/smiths-detection/life/c58d0d07-ffe6-4a79-aa69-062062454d6d/and follow our story
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity. We have several employee-led Employee Resources Groups (women@work, Black Employees Network, Veterans, Pride Network) providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment and beyond.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website