Are you ready to make the most of your summer?
Our summer placements are tailored to provide university students with industry and business knowledge, giving you a competitive edge in your final year. It’s a fantastic opportunity for you to gain invaluable experience and develop the professional skills needed to launch your career. We offer support and mentoring from experienced professionals throughout this journey to help you grow and develop your skills whilst giving you the opportunity to work on exciting and challenging projects.
So, where better than to come and join Tilbury Douglas! We are a reputable leading UK building, infrastructure, engineering and fit out company and can offer both exciting and varied projects providing the perfect opportunity for you to fulfil your career ambitions within construction!
The things that make us different make us stronger, which is why diversity is plays such a key role in Tilbury Douglas. An inclusive culture drives business success and benefits everyone. We know by introducing a diverse workforce, new ways of thinking, innovative approaches which have not yet been explored will be introduced and everyone makes a difference including you! We invest in our people; their health and wellbeing are integral to what we do. Working at Tilbury Douglas is a rewarding environment. It is our people who make Tilbury Douglas a success, and you can be part of building a better future!
Visit our website Early Careers section for more information to help you decide if this is the career choice for you: Tilbury Douglas Early Careers
Locations: Bristol, Exeter, Thames Valley Region, Alfreton, Livingston and Coalville
Supporting with the measurement and valuation of works in progress. Participation in the management of the supply chain and project costs of construction projects to ensure the overall financial success of a project. Supporting the commercial team with the commercial management of all or part of a project and/or a number of trade packages within the project.
What you will be doing:
- Participate in the analysis, preparation, and management of all costs, from initial cost assessments through to project completion.
- Selection and management of suppliers and sub-contractors
- Become an expert in contracts, financial management and contract law.
- Assist with the monthly/quarterly compilation of data to monitor the performance of the project.
- To meet with other professionals, clients, customers and others to obtain and provide information relating to land, property or construction.
- To undertake costings and/or measurements and/or valuations using data collected from research.
- Buying of materials and services from smaller companies
- Monitoring and management of these smaller companies to ensure that goods are delivered, and work is completed on time.
- To ensure requests for payment are made on time and on a regular basis to the business for whom we are working and that these payments are received and payments to smaller companies are made promptly.
- Currently studying towards a degree in Quantity Surveying (or related quantity surveying degree)
- Hold a full UK driving licence and will have access to a vehicle for the duration of the placement.
- Can commit to a 12-week summer placement during summer 2024.
What you will need to bring
- Strong numeracy skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design and costing IT packages.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings (with training)
- Ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information simply to a diverse range of people.
- Ability to work in a multi-functional and dynamic team environment assisting with the smooth running of a variety of projects.
- Self-motivated with the enthusiasm to learn and develop.
- Ability to take responsibility and be accountable.
- Attention to detail with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Practical and logical qualities with a methodical way of thinking
- Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Strong communication skills
What we can offer you
- A salary of £20,000 per annum (paid pro rata for placements)
- At least 12 weeks placement on live construction projects
- Opportunity to be sponsored by Tilbury Douglas whilst at university and join us as a graduate on completion of your degree.
- Support from our professionally qualified team to coach and mentor you, providing you with quality site experience which will set you apart from your peers.
- 20 days annual leave
- Employee Assistance Programme including financial guidance and advice.
- Perks at Work Employee discount scheme offering discounts on a range of categories such as electronics, home appliances, food & groceries, car buying, travel, fitness and more.
How do I apply?
Click Apply Now to register your details and start your application journey!
Closing date 24th November 2023
We do not have a licence to offer sponsorship.
We do not use recruitment agencies for any of our Early Career’s vacancies.