SMITHS DETECTION MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE
Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
As a Senior Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for the development, testing, and deployment of firmware for embedded systems. You will work closely with electronics engineers, software engineers, and other cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality, reliable firmware that meets the requirements of our products.
Duties & Responsibilities
What you’ll do –
- Design, implement, and test firmware for embedded systems
- Work with electronics engineers, systems engineers, and other disciplines to understand system requirements and constraints
- Collaborate with software engineers to integrate firmware with higher-level software
- Develop and maintain firmware architecture and documentation
- Participate in design reviews and code reviews
- Investigate and debug issues in firmware and hardware interactions
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure that firmware meets product requirements
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior firmware engineers
What you’ll definitely need –
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in firmware development for embedded systems
- Strong programming skills in C and C++
- Experience with firmware development tools and processes
- Experience with embedded system design, including knowledge of hardware components and interfaces
- Familiarity with communication protocols such as SPI, I2C, UART, CAN, and USB
- Experience with software debugging tools and techniques, including JTAG
- Experience with hardware debugging tools and lab equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analysers.
- Schematics & layout comprehension
- Experience with embedded RTOS (Keil RTX, FreeRTOS)
- Experience with Keil uVision, Freescale CodeWarrior, STM32cubeIDE, NXP MCUxpresso or Visual Studio as IDEs.
- Experience of working with Armv8-M, ARM Cortex-M4, ARM Cortex-M33 or STM32
- Holder of current SC security clearance or UK national capable of obtaining security clearence
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Competent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex technical concepts clearly and concisely
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn (17) Smiths Detection: My Company | LinkedIn
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion:
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website (www.smithsdetection.com/careers) or LinkedIn
Has full access to proprietary information on projects, designs, and processes; interprets and applies company policy. • Interfaces with other Smiths Detection departments including Project Teams, Service, key customers, suppliers and partnering organisations