Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain’s best employers and believe this starts with placing the people at the centre of everything we do!
Our ambition is to be responsive to passengers and freight users, and we’re empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We care about people, and we’re passionate about great service. We believe teamwork is key.
Network Rail’s Anglia route is looking an Operations Director to lead our operations department. This role will direct an operations team that supports the safe, sustainable and efficient provision and operation of the route. You will be responsible for lead the operations team to meet defined safety, performance and financial objectives, whilst balancing the interests of all customers.
Every day will be different, but key responsibilities will include:
- Directing the management of safety within the geographical area and act as a role model in the promotion of safety and environmental excellence across all areas of control.
- Inspiring excellence in the quality of service provided to Network Rail’s customers.
- Directing the area team to achieve business / functional objectives and meet key performance measures. Create an engaged, motivated working environment in line with company values.
- Creating a culture to enable customer and frontline employee feedback to be reflected in policies and procedures to deliver continuous performance improvement.
- Achieving financial, technical, safety and customer satisfaction targets agreed with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Leading delivery of operations in compliance with policies, procedures and standards and direct the development of disaster and incident management plans. Support the on-site management of recovery from major incidents.
- Managing the development and implementation of safety, train performance and customer satisfaction, initiatives. With the Head of Maintenance Delivery, create plans to address customer needs and performance issues.
- Leading real-time delivery of train performance and implement processes to deliver continuous improvement.
- Providing input to business plans, policies, standards and network strategies.
- Acting as the Designated Competent Person (DCP) for both formal and local investigations. Report on accidents/incidents and undertake investigations as required.
- Undertaking safety tours and set the framework for safety and work quality check within the team.
We are looking for someone who meets the below criteria:
- Chartered member of relevant professional body or equivalent experience
- Significant successful experience in operational management in a Safety Critical Industry
- Recognised operational delivery leadership capability
- Able to demonstrate in depth knowledge and experience of health and safety management and compliance management processes
- Proven ability to influence decision making and build cross functional / cross company relationships
- Proven track record of customer relationship management
- Significant knowledge of rail industry
- Successful experience of managing business unit financials
- Able to demonstrate understanding of NR safety management system
It’s not essential, but we would love it if you has:
- In-depth understanding of the railway industry and its needs and interfaces
- Knowledge of relevant standards and procedures
Network Rail encourages applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and home life.
We follow a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: Band 1C, £111,725 – £133,006.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including:
- £8000 car allowance at Band 1 level
- 75% off the cost of a season ticket for travel to work
- 75% off leisure travel for yourself and family members
- Flexible working arrangements
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- A choice of contributory pension schemes
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal dedication to safety in their application.
Please note, all offers with network rail will be subject to a medical assessment and negative drugs and alcohol test.