The award-winning Fast Stream is the leadership development programme that develops the highest potential graduates to become the future leaders of the Civil Service. Joining the Fast Stream offers the unique opportunity to make a difference to the whole of society. The Civil Service supports the government of the day to implement its policies effectively. Fast Streamers help to shape the decisions that will affect everyone’s lives and to deliver the public services that we all rely on.
The GSS is an independent body working together to provide the statistical insight required by decision makers.
Roles in the GSS support the production of official statistics alongside analysis and advice, providing a firm evidence base for decision making both inside and outside of government.
As a GSS fast streamer you will be joining the Government Statistical Service’s flagship training scheme for future statistical leaders.
Over the four-year scheme you will experience statistical work in a range of government departments as you build up the skills and knowledge needed to progress to senior leadership roles in the GSS and across the civil service.
Your roles will consist of a combination of:
- Collection and analysis of data and the publication of statistics including taking early responsibility of work strands to develop your leadership and technical capability
- Research into new data sources, methodologies and techniques to improve statistical outputs
- User engagement: identifying customer needs and ensuring research is fit for purpose
- Working with policy teams to provide evidence-based analysis demonstrating your leadership and capability
- Data science roles, finding new ways to extract value from data taking personal responsibility, from your 1st post and throughout the programme, to fulfil your broader leadership potential in a Statistics environment
There will be a wide range of activities to support your learning and development in your roles. You won’t be expected to have in-depth knowledge of all areas on day one.
Your formal learning offer will consist of:
- Leadership and Management training
- A variety of analytical learning
- Training in coding/computing techniques (e.g. Python and R)
The minimum starting salary is £28,000. We support applicants with health conditions, learning difficulties and disabilities, with their applications and through their Civil Service careers. We operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme. If you have a disability and meet the minimum qualifying criteria for your chosen scheme, you may choose to skip part of the first stage of the assessment process.
You can choose up to 4 scheme preferences when you apply to the Fast Stream. So, whether you are looking for your first graduate role, seeking to return to work, or change profession, the Fast Stream is the ideal place to progress a meaningful, fulfilling career.