SMITHS DETECTION MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE
Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
Are you an experienced Embedded Software Engineer (Chemical and Explosive Detection Equipment) with the desire to play a critical role in the design, development, and maintenance of embedded software for our chemical and explosive detection equipment. If so, this could be your opportunity to join a truly global brand.
Working from our Hemel Hempstead Production site, this is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding team where you will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams of hardware engineers, chemists, and system architects to create reliable, high-performance, and user-friendly solutions. Your expertise in embedded systems, software development, and knowledge of chemical detection algorithms will be essential in ensuring the accuracy, efficiency, and functionality of our products.
Duties & Responsibilities
What you’ll do –
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define software requirements, system architecture, and design specifications for chemical and explosive detection equipment.
- Develop and implement embedded software for real-time control, data acquisition, signal processing, and communication interfaces.
- Write efficient, modular, and maintainable code in languages such as C/C++, or assembly for microcontrollers, DSPs, and FPGAs.
- Optimize software performance and memory utilization, ensuring the efficient execution of algorithms and real-time data processing.
- Conduct software integration, testing, and debugging to ensure system functionality, reliability, and compliance with industry standards.
- Perform code reviews and collaborate with team members to identify and resolve software defects, issues, and enhancements.
- Implement and maintain software version control, documentation, and configuration management processes.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in embedded software development and chemical detection algorithms.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting expertise to internal teams and external customers when required.
What you’ll definitely need –
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience (3+ years) in embedded software development for complex systems, preferably in the field of chemical detection, explosive detection, or similar domains.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++, with supporting skills in higher level languages such as Python or C#.
- Holder of current SC security clearance or UK national capable of obtaining security clearance is essential
- Proficiency in embedded software development tools, debugging techniques, and cross-compilation environments.
- Experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS), device drivers, and hardware-software integration.
- Knowledge of digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms, data acquisition, and sensor fusion techniques.
- Familiarity with communication protocols such as UART, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, or wireless technologies (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.).
- Understanding of hardware design concepts and ability to work closely with hardware engineers.
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., Git) and software configuration management tools.
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex technical concepts clearly and concisely
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn (17) Smiths Detection: My Company | LinkedIn
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion:
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website (www.smithsdetection.com/careers) or LinkedIn