We are operating one of the oldest forest flux stations worldwide and the most extensive network of flux stations in peat meadows. We are looking for an enthusiastic data scientist who can help us manage the data streams collected at various micro-meteorological sites operated by the Water Systems and Global Change group (WSG) and the Meteorology and Air Quality group (MAQ) of Wageningen University.
The 20+ sites are operated in the context of the Dutch Research Program Greenhouse Gas Dynamics in Peatlands and Organic Soils (NOBV) and the Ruisdael Observatory At those sites, eddy covariance measurements are made of greenhouse gas exchange as well as other meteorological, air quality and soil measurements, including scintillometry. In addition, we fly an aircraft equipped with turbulence, meteorological and air quality sensors. We need support for processing, visualizing, archiving and making accessible the resulting data streams to/from a database. You will prepare level 1 and level 2 data which can be used in data analysis and publications. To judge the data quality, it is essential that you have some knowledge of (micro-) meteorology and of the underlying processes that drive the energy, water and carbon balances. In addition, you will support the fieldwork, instrument installation and maintenance. The research assistant will play a small role as well in education support (technical assistance in field practicals and data support for MSc thesis students).
You will be working with researchers, technicians and PhD students from the two groups, MAQ and WSG. It is important you can manage your time and collaborate with many different people inside and also outside the organization. As research assistant you will work with the site managers, while initiative and own ideas for data treatment and analysis, as well as the experimental operation in the field will be appreciated.
You are an enthusiastic data scientist, familiar with micro-meteorological processes and fieldwork.
- have a MSc or PhD degree from a university (of applied sciences) in meteorology, environmental sciences, applied electronics, data management or informatics,
- have knowledge of eco-hydrology, micrometeorology, vegetation or soil science; OR environmental technology, environmental sciences,
- have some knowledge of research data management and basic electronics,
- have affinity with monitoring of greenhouse gas emissions/uptake in the field and from small aircraft,
- have experience with programming: R, Python, embedded software, database queries. Some knowledge of statistics, machine learning and big data approaches,
- have excellent communication skills in English and/or Dutch (C1 level),
- are a standout colleague, who can work independently and who also communicates well with academic and professional colleagues (incl. landowners, farmers, volunteers),
- have a driver’s license.
We offer you
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation / holiday hours by working more, per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. Depending on your experience, we offer a competitive gross salary of between € 3,226,- and € 5,929,- for a full-time working week of 38 hours, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) (scale 10-11). Additionally, a contract for 0,8 FTE can be discussed. Initially, we offer you a one-year contract, which will then be extended to an open-ended contract if there is mutual enthusiasm. Of course, we would be happy to discuss this with you if you have any questions.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 18th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees.
Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research’s International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling. For instance under the “30% rule”, certain categories of international staff can receive tax exemption on approximately 30% of their gross salary.
Do you want more information?
For more information about this position, please contact Dr Michiel van der Molen firstname.lastname@example.org, +31-(0)317-48 21 04 (MAQ) or Dr Ronald Hutjes email@example.com, +31 (0)317-48 64 62 (WSG).
For more information about the procedure, please contact Edgar Tijhuis, corporate recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including the 4th of December, 2023. We hope to schedule the first job interviews in the second week of December 2023.